The holidays have come and gone, and for many of us scrolling through our Facebook news feeds at this time of year it can feel like everyone just got engaged!
There is a reason for that. According to Wedding Wire, 33% of engagements happen between American Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.
If you are one of these happy couples now calling each other ‘Fiance’, well…Congratulations!
After the dust settles from all the initial excitement, you may be left wondering “Now What?” Where do you begin when planning a wedding? The possibilities are endless, and that can make the whole process feel a little daunting! I recommend taking it one decision at a time.
Here’s a good place to start:
Are you going to have a destination wedding, or a traditional wedding in your hometown? If you are still in discussions with your sweetheart about this then here are a few statistics that should interest you. (Collected by Honeymoons.about.com and PR Newswire)
- 24% of weddings these days are destination weddings.
- The average budgets for a traditional wedding versus a destination wedding are actually surprisingly similar, with both coming in just over and just under 30,000 USD respectively.
- 84% of Americans believe that destination weddings are more fun.
- If given the chance for a wedding ‘Do-Over’, two thirds of Americans under the age of 35 would choose to have done a destination wedding instead.
- The average age of a bride having a traditional wedding is 28, while the average age of the destination wedding bride is 33.
- The average number of guests at a destination wedding is 48, while at a traditional wedding it is 165.
- 60% of couples getting married destination style pay for the wedding themselves, while only 32% having a traditional wedding do.
- Invitations for at home weddings should be sent out 6-8 weeks before the wedding, while save the date announcements need to be out at least 9-12 months before a destination wedding.
(Read more on why you should consider a destination wedding.)
***And of course…if you are searching for a fabulously talented wedding photographer, oozing tons of personality, based in the Mayan Riviera of Mexico, then contact Fun In The Sun Weddings today for a free quote and consultation!***
Ultimately, you should pick whichever option feels best for you, because after all this is (hopefully!) a once in a lifetime event!
If a destination wedding in Mexico happens to be in the cards, then you can read more here about your next decision; choosing your venue and whether or not to go with an All-Inclusive resort package.